Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Morning at DMV

I really did not want her to pass. I felt pretty guilty. Here I go again making that carbon foot print I leave a little bit bigger. Besides, does Violet really need to drive? Am I not putting a lethal weapon in her hands. I tried talking her out of it. “Don’t you want to be one of those cool people that uses Trimet and rides a bike”. “We could get you a cute bike, one that would let you ride while wearing a skirt that has a cute basket in the front.” She was not buying it. So we skipped a little school to take the learners permit test. We waited in line to get a number, waited in line to turn in our paper work and waited to take the test. The DMV is such a miserable place. Why do they do that? Do they make it miserable on purpose. I swear I saw Eminem there trying to sort out his car title. I read my book and I am five pages away from finishing “Life of Pi”, but that is another story. She failed (missed it by one question) and I had a little inner smile. But only for a minute. Because then came the tears, and more tears. Poor Violet. She had been kicked in the face the day before at cheer practice and had this amazing black eye. Then you add the tears and she looked like a poor little street urchin. I dried the tears and did my best “I am sorry sweetie”. What are the lyrics from that song? "when you cry, I cry just like you". Driving is a rite of passage and we will get this behind us. In the scope of starving children and disease this does not even register. But sometimes the small things do open the flood gates.