Thursday, October 25, 2007

do not disturb

Recently I was discussing with friends the perils of airline travel. If I am traveling solo I do not like talking to people on airplanes. I don’t want to. This is my space, my time. I will bury my head in a pillow, press my cheek against the window, put on my music, close my eyes and just in case there is any doubt there will be a book on my lap. A sort of visual to remind you that I do not want to be disturbed. One of the dangers of talking to people on airplanes is there is no way to get out of the conversation. It keeps going until you land.
My friend Paul insists the best way to travel international is hung over. It supposedly helps with the jet lag. I think it would also make people avoid you. You would have that air about you. I once was on an international flight returning home when a hungoverish looking man got on the plane at the last possible second. He was wearing a sort of navy mechanics looking jacket. He shlumped into his seat. When the plane took off he reclined his chair and put his jacket over his head and did not remove it until we were landing twelve hours later. It was awesome.
Back in the day, when I was 10, I was certain I would meet the love of my life sitting next to me on an airplane en route to some exotic location. But different dreams that choose me came true and I met the love of my life in a black jeep. No airplanes. He drives fast enough so maybe riding in the passenger seat is kind of like flying.

No comments: