Thursday, November 8, 2007

josh ritter


I am a little crazy over Josh Ritter right now. Maybe a little too crazy. I am this close...(if you could see my finger and thumb they are held up about a quarter of an inch apart)...that is how close I am to skipping town and going all Penny Lane on him.
It started on a drive home from Boise. I had seven hours in the car alone. To keep me company J bought a couple of new CDs to listen to. Friends for the road. It was love at first site. I even had to pull over and read the lyrics on the CD jacket so I would know exactly what I was singing along to. I used the repeat button a lot that night.
Then a month later I saw Josh Ritter at the Aladdin in Ptown. That was all it took. Now I am head over heals crazy on Josh. Turns out he looks just like my friend Jason S. His show was amazing. Head tilted back, eyes closed and oh that smile.
He played and sang and told stories and we all sang along. Josh reminded me of Snoopy from the Charlie Brown cartoons when he does his little happy Snoopy dance. I caught that contagious smile and followed it with an occasional giggle. He owned us. Flirting with the crowd, teasing us. He brought us to the edge of our toes while he riffed on his guitar and we waited for that hook to come back around. His band shared his enthusiasm. I was introduced to other songs that weren't on my CD. Girl in the War, Monster Ballads, Wolves and Good Man. This guy is good.
I assumed this was all for us. Just for Portland. Being the obsessed fan that I am I did what anyone else would do. A little internet stalking never hurts. I watched You Tube videos and found FabChannel.com. FabChannel is from the Paradiso in Amsterdam. An Amsterdam equivalent to the Portland Aladdin. Their website streams past concerts. Hundreds to choose from. And a couple from Josh Ritter. Anyway, turns out he is cheating on us. He performs in this manner all over the world not just Portland. That took some getting used to. Guess I have to be OK with sharing him.

No comments: